Exotic Pet Services in Philadelphia, PA
Exotic pets sometimes require a level of care that other pets simply do not. They might have more complex needs or simply need more medical attention. It can be hard to find a vet that meets all of your exotic pet’s needs but look no further – at 2nd Street Animal Hospital, we can help. Our team works hard to make our office environment as comfortable and stress-reducing as possible and we will always treat them with the love and kindness you know that they deserve. We know that your pet is more than just an animal, it’s a family member. Let us take care of your wild friend.
- Spays and neuters for small animals
- Routine check-ups and dental care
- Reptile salpingectomy and ovariectomy
- Avian salpingectomy
- Advanced abscess surgery for small mammals
- Fish diagnosis and surgery
- Ferret adrenalectomy
- Ferret partial pancreatectomy
- A wide variety of orthopedic procedures
- Endoscopic surgery and procedures
Whether you would like to set up an appointment, or you need more information, do not hesitate to reach out to us today. We look forward to helping your cherished pet feel better.
EXOTIC PET POST-PURCHASE EXAMINATIONS
Welcome your new exotic pet into your life with a post-purchase exam. Before bringing your pet into your home, you want to make sure that he or she is healthy. Post-purchase examinations are very important to ensure you are providing the proper husbandry and nutrition for your new pet.
EXOTIC PET POST-PURCHASE EXAMINATIONS INCLUDE:
● Complete physical examination
● Husbandry and nutritional consultation
● Disease screening and laboratory testing
EXOTIC PET MEDICAL TREATMENT & CARE
At our exotic animal hospital in Northern Liberties, we offer the most current pet diagnostics and animal care treatments available for exotic pets when they become ill. Additionally, if your pet needs intensive care or hospitalization, you want to be sure that your veterinary hospital is specifically equipped to care for exotic species. Our specialized exotic pet hospitalization cages provide temperature control, oxygen delivery, and nebulization of medications, all of which are critical to assuring that your exotic pet will be hospitalized under the optimum conditions.
At 2nd Street Animal Hospital in Northern Liberties, we have the equipment, training, and know-how necessary to treat your exotic pet.
SMALL MAMMAL DENTAL SERVICES
Rabbits and many other small mammals are particularly prone to dental problems. We offer complete pet dental care for the many problems that can occur.
HERE ARE SOME OF THE PET DENTISTRY SERVICES WE OFFER:
● Radiographic interpretation and grading of dental disease
● Congenital abnormal incisor removal
● Pre-molar / molar leveling
● Antibiotic bead dental abscess treatment
EXOTIC PET SURGICAL SERVICES
We perform routine and major soft-tissue and orthopedic surgery for exotic pets. Surgical support utilizes specialized exotic pet surgical and anesthetic monitoring equipment, ventilators, EKG and blood-pressure monitoring devices, microsurgical instruments, low volume IV fluid delivery systems, high-tech magnification systems, and heated surgical blankets.
OUR EXOTIC ANIMAL SURGERY SERVICES INCLUDE:
● Small mammal spays and neuters
● Reptile ovariectomy and salpingectomy
● Avian salpingectomy
● Small mammal advanced abscess surgery
● Ferret adrenalectomy
● Ferret partial pancreatectomy
● Numerous orthopedic procedures
● Fish surgery
● Endoscopic surgery and procedures
EXOTIC PET DIAGNOSTIC SERVICES
We utilize our in-house laboratory and partnered specialized exotic pet laboratories to diagnose many ailments and conditions affecting dogs, cats, birds, and exotic pets.
Our in-house laboratory equipment is geared to very small blood sample sizes enabling us to run blood tests on the smallest patients. The specialized outside exotic pet reference laboratories are invaluable in helping us determine what could be wrong with your exotic pet.
Pet radiographs are useful in evaluating a number of areas of your exotic pet’s body, including bones, respiratory and cardiac systems, abdominal cavity, and more. Our exotic animal hospital is equipped with state-of-the-art digital radiography equipment, which enables our veterinary hospital to take high-quality, digital X-rays of your exotic pet in less than a minute, regardless of your pet’s size.
Digital imaging also allows for image manipulation, which allows us to focus on specific areas do precise calculations if needed.
Some of the benefits of digital radiology include:
● Less time spent taking your pets’ radiographs.
● Fewer radiographs need to be taken to achieve a perfect result.
● Less stress for your pet!
● Radiographs can be immediately e-mailed to a veterinary radiology specialist if needed.
Ultrasound a non-invasive imaging procedure that can be used with or without radiographs to better visualize internal organs of your dog, cat, or exotic pet. This painless diagnostic technique is normally done without sedation of your pet and can be used to diagnose many conditions, including:
● Heart disease — especially in rabbits and birds
● Ferret adrenal gland disease
● Cystic ovaries in guinea pigs
● Egg binding in birds and reptiles
● Kidney and liver disease
● Various types of cancer
● Bladder and kidney stones
● and many more pet conditions
An endoscopy is a valuable tool that enables the veterinarian to perform non-invasive or minimally invasive procedures. We use rigid endoscopes for exotic patients that allow us to undertake a wide range of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, such as:
● Esophagus and stomach endoscopic visualization and biopsies
● Abdominal and chest cavity exploration
● Airway evaluation in birds and reptiles
● Foreign bodies retrieval
DIGITAL THERMAL IMAGING
Digital Thermal Imaging is a new diagnostic tool that can be an essential and valuable “on the spot” visual tool in helping our exotic animal veterinarians diagnose inflammation or lack of circulation and its exact location in the animal’s body.
The Benefits of Digital Thermal Imaging in Veterinary Medicine Include:
● A visual physiological map of the area being examined.
● Provides a precise area for examination and a visual of inflammation or lack of circulation, therefore eliminating the guesswork.
● Mapping of the thermal gradients through thermography has the ability to visually illustrate neural irritation or dysfunction.
● Quick, easy, inexpensive procedure that can lead to quicker diagnoses of health conditions.